Thursday 28 July 2011

Beetroot and Artichoke Salad (aka the detox salad)


Artichokes make pretty bouquets too!
Yesterday I talked about something that was a pretty major veer from the healthy. It wasnt the fact that I gave into a 'fat free' dessert, after thinking I had sworn off fat free desserts for life. Nope, I'm still un-apologetic about that. My stomach needed a break from the fat digestion and as far as low calorie treats go, I think Snog is pretty much the best of the bunch. No artificial flavours, sweeteners or other nasties found in loads of stuff like that.
No, my big confession was about the Baileys gorge on January 1st. When I was meant to be giving my poor liver a break from all the toxic overload I actually subjected it to more alcohol AND more sugar.
Mean, mean, non-nutritionist me.
So I decided today had to be all about the liver love and, having previously completed an entire project on the liver I knew just what was in order. My liver loving salad which just happens to be seriously tasty to boot! Here are some of the reasons this salad is so what you (or at least I!) need right now...
Beetroot & Artichoke are two of the best vegetables for your liver. Along with asparagus and avocado, they assist with the production of bile and the breakdown of harmful substances.
Feta Cheese is a great source of protein a steady supply of which is essential for your liver to function well. It is also really essential that the Feta be organic. The last thing your poor little liver needs right now is a bunch of hormones and anti-biotics, which are pumped into the average dairy cow.
This salad is also low in carbohydrates and therefore has a minimal impact on blood sugar levels, another essential for liver health.
Post Holiday Liver Loving Salad - Serves 1
  • 2 Pickled Beetroot, finely sliced
  • 1/2 Tin of Artichoke Hearts, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 packet of Rocket and Watercress Salad or other seasonal Dark Leafy Green
  • 100g Organic Feta Cheese
  • Dressing made with Balsamic Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Whole Grain Mustard and Olive Oil
Assemble salad and dress as desired! Follow with fresh fruit, ideally organic.
I'm still not really feeling the fat so I only dressed this baby in Balsamic, lemon juice and the tiniest drizzle of olive oil. I also had three (yup, three) apples on the side.
Because it's January and I'm poor I didn't buy organic apples, but I washed them in quite a comprehensive fashion . The other downside was that I was so stoked to eat my salad I forgot to snap a photo and so you have to make do with the photo of my beautiful artichoke bouquet, bought last summer by my wonderful fiancee!

No comments:

Post a Comment